Friday, September 27, 2013

My Favorite Book Of All Time

Picking a favorite book can be hard for some people, but extremely easy for others. For me, it's rather hard to pick. If I had to choose, I'd say my favorite book is I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison. Even though this book is meant for adults more than kids, I really enjoyed the stories. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream has quite a few different stories in it, something I like when reading. The stories are a mix of sci-fi and horror, sometimes mystery.

One story in particular was my favorite in the book. It was called I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream (hence the title). Although all the stories in the book were wonderful, this was definitely my favorite. It's told from a man's point of view and is about a group of people kept alive by a machine/computer. They called this machine "AM" and it has kept them alive for hundreds of years. AM tortured them, but would not let them die. It altered each person in a different way. For example, he turned one man into a monkey and human mix. It was very dramatic yet interesting, and showed how computers might think of humans if they developed emotions. Ellison imagined AM would absolutely hate humans.
If I had to pick a favorite book quote, the quote would come from this book. In the story I've mentioned, the main character talks about AM and why he was doing this. It was a very interesting quote, but seems more like an excerpt instead of a quote.

Another story in the book is about a man named Sam. He was tall and worked as a circus entertainer, but he was special. He could teleport, and he was looking for someone. When telling about his life, he mentions a girl whom he was supposed to marry. She dies, and Sam is left alone. So he wanted to find a heaven of sorts so he could again be with this girl. One day while traveling with the circus, the group is asked to perform at a king's castle. After their performance, a beautiful woman is brought on stage. Sam recognizes her as the girl he loved. A man steps behind the girl holding an axe, ready to swing down when... The ending is for you to read! Although the ending seems obvious, it has a bit of a twist. I have to say these were my two favorite stories, but I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream is still at the top.


3 comments:

  1. I love these type of books. You have to reveal the book kind of as you go. I cant imaging being in any of the stories you mentioned. This looks really great. This makes me think of real life events like when someone is kidnapped and they want to scream but if they do they could lose their life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you come across this book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone had mentioned it online because it was made into a video game. I looked it up and decided to read the book because it seemed cool. It's more than cool. It's awesome.

      Delete