Monday, January 20, 2014

Dreams With Sharp Teeth: Week of 1/13/14

**Draw a picture of what you just read.
Pages read: 693-769   (Short Stories: "Would You Do It For A Penny?" "Shoppe Keeper" & "The Man Who Was Heavily Into Revenge")

For this prompt, I wasn't exactly sure on what to draw for the last story I had read, which was "The Man Who Was Heavily Into Revenge". It wasn't that long of a story, but it had a good flow and it was really interesting. The fact that it was a really interesting story is what made it hard for me to decide on what I wanted to turn into a picture. The scene that I decided on that was just about a page long and was chosen because it is fairly important in the development in the story and I also thought the dialogue from one of the characters was kind of creative. Also, although the other stories this week were also fantastic, I have to say that I was glad that this was my last story, as I don't think the two other stories were as creative.

The picture above shows part of the phone conversation between Mr. Tolliver, a main character, and the wife of another main character. The wife, Mrs. Wiesel, was the creative aspect of the conversation that added just a dash of creativity from the authors for this particular conversation. Mrs. Wiesel had a bit of an accent, so the authors showed that in her dialogue. "Lissen, Mistuh Tollivuh, I don't haveta lissen to this!" is an example of how they showed it. I thought it was pretty cool and creative of them to give her an accent and show it throughout her parts in the story. This was an important part in the story because the whole story after this point is created by this one phone call. Mr. Wiesel screws Mr. Tolliver over in a landscaping job, so Mr. Tolliver naturally wants his money back and maybe a second try from Mr. Wiesel. Unable to get what he wants and deserves from the Wiesels, he calls the secretary of Mr. Wiesel's business (and the secretary happens to be Mr. W's wife) and says the lines quoted in the picture. Mrs. Wiesel of course doesn't take him seriously and hangs up on him. From just reading the title of the story, it's easy to tell that Mr. Tolliver was in fact serious. Very serious. One of the things that made the story interesting was all the ideas put into the story, like karma...

1 comment:

  1. It sounds interesting. To be honest I came to your blog because the title sounds so unique and dangerous and just perfect. I don't know I'm going through things and I can just relate to it. "Dreams with Sharp Teeth." It's almost beautiful I really like the sound of that. Because I have dreams with sharp teeth. Anyway I really like your blog I can relate to Mr.Tolliver's frustrations.

    ReplyDelete