Thursday, March 19, 2015

Berlin Memorial Reflection - 3/19

     What did you learn?
     Considering that I didn't know very much about these Jewish decrees going into this activity, I learned quite a bit. Of course, I learned the purpose of the laws (slowly dehumanize and demoralize them) and how each law effected the Jews in Germany. I had always had this vague idea that the laws that restricted the Jews had all been implemented all at once. However, I learned that the process of getting the Jews fully and completely restricted was actually quite a long and thought out operation. And though it is sad, the German government went about the business in a very strategic way.

     Why do you think this monument was built?
      I think the monument was built to give homage to the laws/things Jews had to suffer through during Germany's dark time. I imagine it was built all around the street to show that it is a part of Germany's history that cannot be ignored and should be respected. In addition to that, I believe part of it is a reminder that discrimination towards a certain group of people is serious and something like this should never be repeated.

     What did you notice about the number of laws passed in certain years?
     The government would pass quite a few laws one year but then only one or two per year afterwards until they splurged yet again. You could notice this pattern repeating a few times until there were finally no more Jews to make laws against. Really, this was the strategic/smart part of their terrible plan. The fluctuation in the addition of discriminating laws kept Germany on a low radar. For the Jews, I imagine if they went a few years without having that many laws added they would begin to get the mindset that what was done was over and life would soon get a new routine they could live with. The number of laws raised little to no suspicion in other countries and Germany's Jews.

     Which restrictions do you think you would have the most trouble dealing with and why?
     Personally, I would have the most trouble dealing with the laws that restricted the places you could go, when you could go, and what you could use as entertainment. I don't like to be cooped up inside very much (unless it's winter and I'll die if I step outside for like a minute) so I'd feel rather anxious and somehow helpless if there were laws determining how I would spend my days-- barely outside. Even if there was no curfew law, you'd still have to deal with the laws forbidding you from going to certain places or segregation in the places you could go. All in all, I'd be pretty frustrated.

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog! You wrote everything really well, and it was interesting to read. :D

    ReplyDelete