Sunday, April 20, 2014

A Wrinkle In Time


Week of 4/16/14
**Are the characters realistic (do they seem like they could be read people)? Why 
or why not?
Pages Read: 1-38

Three chapters in and I'm still not sure how I feel about A Wrinkle In Time. I'm still not very sure on what it's about (yes, I read the summary) but excluding that, I don't think I like it very much. It's not because it's a classic, as I've read slightly older books that I've really enjoyed. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think it might be the character development and the dialogue of the characters that cause me to not enjoy this. For the character development, I can't even name exactly what bothers me about that! I think the characters are developing really really fast and so...it's weird?

The first character we meet is Meg, the main character (yay Meg!). Meg is your average something-age-kid-because-the-author-doesn't-tell-you kid. Well, she does seem realistic. At the beginning of the book, Meg goes through a possible hurricane and she is very. Very. Scared. This makes her realistic because she has realistic fears. Very often, we see characters that aren't afraid of anything. This makes them unrealistic and I don't want to hear a word about how your not afraid of anything. Not a word. But, Meg was afraid of it, and that was great. She was also realistic because two other reasons. One is her school life. She isn't a good student and often gets into fights. There are actually a lot of people like this, so I took this into account. The other thing was that her father hasn't been around for a year. This made her realistic because there are also many people that sadly, do not have their dad in their life. All those kids and adults who don't have a dad went through a time when their dad was gone for a year, like Meg.

The next character I'd like to bring out is Charles Wallace, Meg's little brother. Is he realistic? No. Why, you ask? Well, think of it like this..How many six year olds have you seen that can speak in clear, complete sentences, know middle school words, kind of know what people are thinking, and whose parents let them use knives. If we're similar, you thought none. Or one, if you've read this book. Charles Wallace seriously does all of those things. For example, right at the beginning of the book when Meg is afraid of the hurricane, she goes down to the kitchen to have some cocoa to calm herself. When she gets down there, Charles Wallace says, "Hi, I've been waiting for you." He then goes on to say that he knew she'd be down. So he's a psychic six year old. Average. What really really makes him unrealistic is the fact that his first name is Charles Wallace. Not his full name, but his first name. I mean.
Seriously.
Forget the psychic part.

So far, the cover has proved to
be more interesting than the actual
book itself. Just look at that pony guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment