Monday, April 28, 2014

A Wrinkle In Time

For week 4/23
**Pretend you get to create the music soundtrack for what you've been reading. What five songs would you include? Write an explanation for each song: why would you include it, how does the song connect to events.
Pages Read: 38-132

One of the songs I would include would be First Of The Year by Skrillex (hereee). I think that this song connects to the book in three different ways, which I wouldn't normally expect since this is a dubstep song. But. Whatever. If you go and listen to the song, you'll of course notice the general sound of it. The sound of the song connected to my book because, to me, this sounded like the song that could play during a couple scenes in the book where the characters are traveling through dimensions. The feeling the characters get when they do this is described as a suffocating feeling and they feel filled with panic. To me, this seemed like a song for that as they're rushed through space and time. The other two reasons have to do with the lyrics to the song. Which are very hard to understand, and so people have come up with two different sets of lyrics for the song. Giving me two different connections to the book. One of the sets says the little voice is singing about a nightmare, over and over again. This connects to the book because the girl, Meg, does seem to be in a nightmare. Her father is gone, she hates school, and so many strange things keep happening to her. The other set is saying that the voice is singing about wishing it could go back in time to a certain night in their life. Again, this connects to Meg. I connected this to her because she misses her father being there, and I'm sure she'd want to go back to the days when he was around. Another thing was that with some people helping the characters travel dimensions, they could take Meg back in time to the days where he was around.

Another song I would use is Fly Me To The Moon by Frank Sinatra (hereee). I would use this song because it's sort of from the POV of this guy who's really happy and has a special-someone. Guess what? It connects to Meg! Meg just so happens to have a special someone in the book (Calvin) and this song could literally be about them. Just look at the lyrics. Another thing is that the song also mentions flying the guy to the moon and that he wants to play in the stars and stuff. There's actually a part in the book where the characters are on the back of this creature that is flying them up into the sky and even higher than the tops of the nearby mountains. The scene is described as beautiful because they can see everything, including the stars. The parts in the song about the sky and stars really reminded me of the book.

The third song I would use is Nine In The Afternoon by Panic! At The Disco (hereee). If you've been going through this post without listening to any of the songs and simply judging by title, I suppose you're thinking this is a song about a time of day. If you're thinking that, you're partially right. This song is also about where memories begin. In particular
, memories with the person or people you love. This connects to the book because of the couple-ish couple in the book. It's like Calvin and Meg are a couple, but they haven't come out and said it. I connected this with the song because of the memories they've made together so far in the book.

The next song I would use is Just A Girl by No Doubt (hereee). I'd use this song because it's about how girls are treated like they're much more fragile than we really are. Again, Meg connects to this song. She is a girl who gets into a lot of fights and obviously isn't weak like a stereotype often plastered on all girls. Since this song is going against the idea that people have of women being weak, I thought this was like Meg because she seems to be the exact opposite of weak like the stereotype on women says. I think that if someone were to call her a 'weak girl', she would definitely defend herself like they do in this song.

The final song I would use is Que Sera, Sera by Pink Martini (hereee); an oldie, but a goodie I think. This song is about a girl who doesn't really know what to expect in the future, so she asks the people around her. I connected this song to the book because the girl in the song doesn't know what she should expect for her future. In the book, a lot of the characters don't know what they should expect. For example, Meg doesn't know if she'll have her father in her life anytime soon or far away. Her little brother doesn't know what will happen with his powers or the old women guiding him with his powers. So, the characters in the book are much like the girl in the song; they all can't know what their futures hold.





4 comments:

  1. Very long blog. It does seem that First of the Year would fit into your novel. Good blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really thought that your blog was pretty unique. I love how you had a variety of songs that would mach your blog. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog! I really like the songs you chose for the story. I must say, there really different from eachother in a way but in a good way. You chose songs that match the story, and have a nice tone to it as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the songs you chose! Despite the fact that I have not yet read the book, I feel that your choice with Panic! At The Disco was a good one. I'm surprised you listen to Frank Sinatra and Pink Martini, they truly are oldies.

    ReplyDelete