Monday, May 12, 2014

A Wrinkle In Time

For week 5/01
**Would you recommend this book to friends? Why or Why not?
Pages Read: 132-211 (End)


Would I recommend this book to a friend? Nope. Nope. Nope-ity nope. I'm going to attempt to put my ever so mild hatred for this book into three paragraphs so this should be good. As you can probably tell, I really didn't like this book. I feel I've read much better books than this. So much better, really. For one, I found this book to be pretty boring. Throughout the book, it just felt like nothing was happening even though there were things going on in the book. It just felt very slow and boring. Even when there were things happening, they were pretty expected, I think. This made nothing in the book that interesting. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the book could have been more creative and interesting. Way more.

Another thing I didn't like about this book was the characters. Besides their sort of magical powers, I feel like they weren't that much different from characters in other books I've read. They weren't unique. Even if an author is purposefully trying to make their characters seem like ordinary kids, the characters can still be unique in their own way. It's just of a thing to make characters unique. It makes them and the story interesting. The characters in A Wrinkle In Time were not only not-unique to me, but I also thought they were kind of shallow. I felt there was no real depth to them. Like they were just kind of there. The dialogue they shared between each other was also unrealistic and boring. It didn't seem like actual things kids would say in general and to each other. Although, the book was written quite a long time ago, so things were probably way different back then with what kids said.

The last thing I'd like to mention is the overall idea of the book. Kids working with magical witches to save their father. I can't speak for anyone else, but this idea doesn't really interest me. The evil darkness stuff that's taking over planets isn't really explained, and it appeared to be an antagonist in the book. Honestly, I'm not sure if it was an antagonist because they didn't really explain it. In fact, they just kind of forget about the darkness at the end of the book. Happily ever after while the darkness continues on, I guess. Anyway, the idea of the book just seemed really boring to me although I'm sure some people would love the idea. This book just wasn't my thing. It's kind of hard for me to say exactly what about the book made me dislike it but I've tried my best to interpret my feeling.

So, if one of my friends asks if I'd recommend this book to them, I'd just full on:

I don't know how I keep doing this, but I did that thing again where I write 
my blog and then close out and completely forget to actually publish it.
Here it is anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment