Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Boy Book: Week 9/8/14

** Figurative language & imagery
Pages read: 0-117

The Boy Book doesn't include much figurative language. In fact, if I try to think back, I really can't think of any (but I'm sure they're in there somewhere). So, I'm going to focus on the book's imagery. It's even kind of hard for me to write about the imagery in the book because there doesn't seem to be much of it. The parts that are imagery aren't very descriptive, but they do count. Rather, the book tells the story by mainly explaining what's happening in that moment without too much description. Frankly, I don't really mind. It gives the writing a sort of casual feeling, if you get me.

One of the first examples of imagery is, "I wanted him to see me as a damsel in distress and come to my aid and touch my hand and feel a rush of desire and remorse. I had wanted him to notice my legs in my fishnet stockings as I knelt on the floor to pick up the quarters." This piece of imagery was cool because even though it wasn't incredibly descriptive, you really get an image in your head of what the main character described. Because she mentioned the style of her stockings and the sadness she felt, the scene kind of plays in your head like a short movie clip.

Another imagery example is, "The feeding schedule was posted all around the zoo, so a few minutes before we were supposed to start, visitors began crowding in around the penguins, watching them swimming their fat bodies through the blue water. The room was dark, and penguins on the land part of the enclosure seemed to sense that feeding time was near: a good number of them had waddled over to the door, waiting for the keepers to come out with buckets of fish." Again, this text isn't very descriptive. Still so, it manages to give the reader a clear enough visual to go along with the text.

The style of this book just doesn't seem to have much imagery or figurative language, as you might have noticed. The descriptions of people or objects that the book includes really just put an adjective here or there, but not much. It's kind of weird, but strangely nice. The book describes what's happening rather than what things/people look like, and it's not that bad. I wouldn't say it makes for an interesting read, but it's a bit more casual or informal. I like it!






1 comment:

  1. This is a very good blog. I understand what you meant about the words forming a mini movie in your head. I liked that you put that in words. And the excerpt about wanting the guy to notice her gave me a clear picture. This book sounds interesting. Keep up the good work! (Ps your background is really pretty cool too.)

    ReplyDelete