Saturday, September 20, 2014

The Boy Book: Week of 9/15/14


** What did you think of what you read?**
Pages read: 117-END

This is usually a book I would probably never pick up because of the title. The Boy Book. Pretty self explanatory on what it was about, right? Well, not in the moment I saw it. In that moment, I had a mere minute to find a book, read the summary, check it out, and leave the library in a mad dash. So, in the moment, a book with a penguin on the cover and a sort of unique title seemed like a good idea. Especially since the summary made no sense. And here is how the boy book actually turned out.

Well turns out it was a second book in a series. So I was a bit lost for a while. Thankfully, the speaker gave a brief summary of the events in the past book. This isn't a direct quote, but this is what happend.
  1. Circle of tightly knit lady friends.
  2. Speaker has dream boyfriend.
  3. Friend likes dream boyfriend.
  4. Speaker and Dreamy McDreamy break up and friend steals him.
  5. Speaker makes out with ex boyfriend.
  6. Speaker is caught making out with ex boyfriend.
  7. Speaker loses all friends (but two who weren't in the circle).
  8. List of Speaker's past boyfriends in posted around high school.
  9. Speaker is officially isolated in school.
  10. SECOND BOOK! YAY1
A pretty common plot, except for the list thing. I had no idea what this book or the first book was about, so you can imagine I was pretty caught off guard. I wasn't expecting an extremely girl-drama book. 

But surprisingly, it wasn't that bad. The girl drama in the first book is just the whole book, I assume. Since I haven't read it. But in this second book, it's a mere surface, I suppose you could say. Basically, it branches out into other parts of the story. The second book focuses on the speaker, Roo, trying to cope with everything. She goes through therapy lessons, trying to become neutral with old-circle-friends, and just trying to not mess things up anymore. As I write this I realize it doesn't exactly sound thrilling, but you have to believe that it was actually pretty good. 

The writing itself was something I really enjoyed. It was really casual sounding, in a way. I guess because the story was from a high school girl's perspective, the author wanted it to sound like it was actually by a high school girl. And she did a pretty good job of it! It didn't sound as formal as a lot of other books, but then again, it wasn't completely terrible writing. It was still good writing. It didn't have much imagery or figurative language or much things like that, but it was good. Another thing with the writing was the fact that it had the kind of writing that had a lot of comedy and sarcasm. So that was great.

Character wise, it was really good. The characters are all there for a reason and none of them seem hastily added in or anything when you read about them. They all have a purpose in the writing. They all had their unique dialogue that sounded real and had emotions that made the characters themselves seem realistic. They sounded and acted like real people you would meet any day, so the author did a really good job with that.

Though I may have complimented the plot earlier, here is where I might take a little of that back. IT had a pretty OK plot idea, and that's what I was complimenting. Though, the actual moving on of the plot was a bit...bad, I suppose. The plot was definitely moving along, but at the same time, it seemed pointless. Like you weren't exactly sure of what the whole point of this book was. I guess with that you could say, "Oh so you mean you couldn't tell what would happen? That's a good author. One who's writing is so good that you can't tell the future of their character's." You could definitely say that. Definitely. I just don't know if you would say that for this book. I couldn't tell what would happen at the end because it seemed pointless. And it can be hard to tell the POINT of something that's pointLESS.

I'd give this book a 6.5 maybe 7/10 good book wise. For entertainment purposes, a solid ten outta ten. 

1 comment:

  1. Isabella,

    I really loved your blog, like you, I don't think I would pick up your book if I saw it in the library, but it does seem pretty good, like how you said that the characters dialogue sounded real. Great job this week!

    ReplyDelete