Monday, May 18, 2015

Final Reflection

     I think it's safe to say I learned a lot this year. I learned a multitude of things having to do with the world, character, and just general education. Throughout the year, I've learned that you have to work for what you want - it won't just fall into your lap. If I don't want to fail or fall flat on my face then I have to work for that success. It sounds simple, but when put into action, it can prove to be rather grueling sometimes. That's OK too, because I also learned that if you really work hard for something, it's bound to pay off in the end. In the end, right now, that makes sense. I put in a lot more effort this quarter and I think my pay off is pretty good. As far as I'm concerned, I'm still standing pretty strong and I haven't fallen at all. With that, I'd the say the most vital, important thing I learned this year is what makes me happy. Though I don't really want to dive into that, I had some really good experiences this year that really showed me what I enjoy most in life (at this moment, at least).

     If you're going to remember something for the rest of your life, it definitely has to be very important. During this class, we took sometime to read To Kill a Mockingbird. Somehow, I feel as though I will remember this book for the rest of my life. The book had interesting characters, good dialogue, and a unique plot. Overall, it was just a really great book. The themes presented in the novel are what makes it truly memorable. It was able to tackle problems in our society while still remaining entertaining. With that, I also believe the TKAM thematic essay we wrote was actually my best piece of writing. I felt pretty confident while writing it because I had known exactly what I wanted to say when, where, and why. Re-reading it, I personally felt my confidence really reflected on my writing compared to any of my other pieces. I'm really proud of that, too. I think I made my biggest improvements in writing (specifically essay writing). Usually, I have no idea what I'm saying or writing about. If I'm clueless enough, I ramble and try to tie everything together. However, now, I notice that I now have better plans when beginning to write something. Writing for me has become something creative to be proud of rather than one big hot mess. I appreciate that.

     Quite honestly, I don't like to put much time into things. If there was a way to simply glide or float through life simply and calmly, I would like that. Being rushed or having a time limit is not something I'm a great fan of. Due to that, staying motivated to complete work was a real struggle for me. Though it is not something tangible, it was probably the most challenging part of this year for me. What made it even worse was the fact that because this is my last year with many of my friends, I spent a lot of time goofing around rather than doing work. The nicest thing people did for me this year was attempting to keep my on track. Rather that keeping me going with negative consequences or threats, there were positive remarks or rewards. They say you shouldn't punish an animal when they do something bad, and you should just reward them when they do something you actually want. If you punish them, they'll just learn to do when you're not around. I really appreciate the people who drove me forward because without them, I feel that exact thing would have happened.

     Reading books independently was a very big part of this class. For future kids, I advise them to really branch out when it comes to book genres. Don't think you'll enjoy a memoir or an autobiography? Go for it. Hate sci-fi? Go for it. Last year, I stuck to a genre of books that I can't say I really enjoyed. After a while of reading them, it just became like a "might as well" routine. However, I'm happy to say that this year I really tried to get out there. I read two memoirs, realistic fiction, sci-fi, a classic, and more. This was really different compared to the prior year when my reading was caged inside a few different genres. I encourage future students to find the genres they actually like and really branch out because doing that made reading a lot more enjoyable for me. Before, it was a painful, dragging process. Now, I can for sure say that I don't see it as bad anymore. This year, my favorite book has been Requiem for a Dream. The book is usually put into the tragedy or fiction/realistic fiction genre. I wouldn't normally see myself reading such a depressing book, but it was truly amazing.

     I don't really think I've been able to teach anyone anything this year. I don't really stand out or do anything so there's no real chance for making an impact there. There's the slimmest chance that I've shown one or two people that school doesn't always have to be about work - that you can still have some fun...but I don't really think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment