Thursday, May 14, 2015

Aphorism Project

"You're not a wave, you are part of the ocean."
     There are a lot of people that feel alone, small, or pointless in their everyday lives. They feel as though they are not part of something bigger. I believe Morrie's main point in this quote is that those thoughts are not true. Though you are an individual, you make up a group much larger. Without you, a wave, the ocean is incomplete. I think Morrie was trying to get across that yes, we are all waves, but that's not all we should see ourselves as. If you just view yourself as one small wave, you're bound to belittle yourself.
   
     I have to agree with this aphorism because I think everyone is part of something, no matter how small it is. For example, I don't view myself as important to the entire world, but I think I can find small roles in a few things. I play an important role in the lives of my pets, as they would not get care if it weren't for me, one of their waves. For them, their ocean is not complete without me. Another example is an older woman who lives in a house on my way home. I know the day is going to be peaceful and filled with nice weather when I see her out on her porch because she only sits outside on nice days. Although we never speak, she is an important wave in my ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment