Thursday, November 7, 2013

Dreams With Sharp Teeth: Week of 11/7/13


**Discuss why you like or dislike what you are reading.
Pages read: 501-538  (Short stories: "Rockgod" and half of: "Adrift  Just Off The Islets Of Langerhans: Latitude 38° 54' N, Longitude 77° 00' 13 " W" That is literally the title.)

If I was asked if I enjoyed the book Dreams With Sharp Teeth and then asked if I liked the particular stories I read this week, the answers would be different. I am definitely enjoying the book in general, but there are some stories (like a story this week) that I really don't like. I'd like to say that it's kind of hard to answer the question of  "Are you enjoying this book?" because the book is just short stories. So when I have to answer that question, I have to think to myself, "Am I enjoying these stories?". This is another difficult question for me because then I have to wonder, "Which stories? Which stories from which book?". In any case, I'm enjoying almost all of these stories, so I am enjoying this book!

The stories I'm not taking a liking to all seem to have one thing in common, and it bothers me as soon as I notice this one thing starting to form in a short story I begin to read. Sometimes, it's like he isn't really going anywhere with his story. For example, he'll have his wonderful introduction and first few pages, but then it goes downhill from there. It'll start to not make sense and before you know it, the character is hundreds of years in the future, in a dream-like dimension, experiencing dreams and fears, and going from dimension to dimension or from world to world all in the space of about one page. That pretty much happened in one story. Of course, not all of his stories are like this. I'd say only about three or four Harlan's stories have been like that and left me thinking, "Well what was the point of that?".

Although, one of the stories I read this week was like this. The story "Rockgod" wasn't as confusing as the story I described was, but it was pretty close. It took the place in the lives of multiple people, in multiple time periods, all with different everything. So it got pretty confusing and I felt barely any joy or point in reading it. The other story that I read with the super long title was pretty good though. It's a longer story, so I've only read a bit more than half of it right now, but it's really interesting so far. I'm going to call this story "Langerhans" since writing the whole title is so inconvenient. Anyway, the plot so far of "Langerhans" is really interesting and I can't wait to read the rest. It deals with the problem of a man who wants to die but being unable to. He talks to a person that promises he can find a way for this man to die however and whenever he wants as long as he signs a contract. So far, they haven't revealed what the deal was or how he can die, but he knows. He goes to a friend and discusses this problem with him. That's how far I've gotten right now, and I'm really liking it!

 

1 comment:

  1. WOW! This blog is great! I love the way you explained what is happening in your book. I definitely will read this book in the future!

    ReplyDelete