Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Giver: Week of 11/28/13

** Draw 4 objects that represent your reading. Write a sentence for each, telling what each item says about what you’ve been reading.
Pages read: 108 - End   (Blog is only on pages 130-162)

I drew a bush with a kid peeking through the leaves because in chapter 17, kids are playing a game that Jonas realizes is not a good game to play since it's making a joke of death and war.

This showed how sheltered the people of the community are except for The Receiver and Jonas.




I drew two hand prints, one bigger than the other,           to represent Rosemary and The Giver - the larger hand print belongs to The Giver and the smaller print is Rosemary's.

I drew this because really left a mark on The Giver and made him think about how he regretted giving her painful memories and how it might be better if the whole community shared the memories.

I drew a syringe because in chapter 19, Jonas learns about the way people are released (including Rosemary), which is by being injected with a syringe.

This shows the darker side of the community that only people in certain jobs know of. This was also a reason for Jonas wanting to change the community.
I drew the note Jonas left for his parents to find so he could leave/escape the community, following the plan he made with The Giver.

This showed how vain the people in the community could be. Even though Jonas wouldn't return in time for the ceremony, he knew his parents wouldn't say anything because he knew they wouldn't want to be embarrassed like that, even if their son was missing.

4 comments:

  1. I love how in the pictures, htey show key parts in the book. Like the note, this shows the plan Jonas and the giver put together

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you connected your drawings to the story in a brief but informative way :3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a really good drawer! I really like the picture of Jonas hiding in the bush. I also really like the picture of the hands that represent Rosemary and The Giver. It's a really good observation and if it were me, I would have never have thought to draw it. The connections you made were also very insightful. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I commented on Gustavo's, Maria's, and Gabe's.

    ReplyDelete