Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Giver: Week of 11/21/13


**  Explain what kind of reader would like this book most.
Pages read: 1-108

When I first began to read the first two chapters of The Giver, I can't say I found it very interesting. In the first two chapters, I wasn't very motivated to move onto the next chapter but this changed as I moved onto the third chapter and so on. From that part of the book, the book is filled with cliff hangers, mysteries, and every detail provided seems to add to the suspense of the overall book. So, I think this book would be really good for people that like cliff hangers and things to keep you wondering. When I say wondering, I don't mean just wondering about the book. In the world the book takes place in, it's a Utopia in some ways. Well, in a bad way more than a good way. Anyway, the utopian world gets you wondering about how or world would be like if we lived in such a state. Would we like it? Would it be better? And so on.

Personally, I'm not a very eager reader and I don't have as much time for reading as I would sometimes like or need. The good thing about The Giver is that it's a rather short (but satisfactory) read. In the past two or three days, I've already read more than half, but it feels like I've gotten much more out of this than some much longer books I've read. Even though I don't like reading that much, I really like this book because of the fact that it's a quick read. I spend a lot of time at clubs and doing homework, so reading is pushed out of my day sometimes. In this book, the chapters are shorter and the book isn't very long, so I think I get a lot more reading into my day with this book. So, I think this book and other shorter books like it would be great for people that don't have a lot of reading time in their day. It may be short, but it has just as much entertainment as any larger book!

In the sci-fi genre, there are quite a few books or short stories that present a much different world to the reader. In this book, the fact that the utopia is very different from our world is very obvious. People that like to read about these different worlds would definitely enjoy this book because of the utopia and the rules/laws it has created. I'm one of those people that likes to read about this different worlds because they give you an idea on how our world could have turned out had something been different-- for the better or the worse. In this case, it can be considered horrible or great depending on how the reader feels about it. The book gives you a lot of differences between the utopia and our world, so it's more thinking for the reader to do on how they would feel about this place if it existed today. Overall, I think it'd be hard to find a person who didn't enjoy this book. I mean, there are a lot of things that could appeal to different people all in one book. You have the characters, the place, the plot, and so many other things! Even though I'm only a bit more than halfway through, I think I can say that this is going to be one of my favorite books.

1 comment: