Thursday, April 30, 2015

Tuesdays with Morrie: Week of 4/30

     The idea of death has always been rather frightening for me so naturally, I found the sixth Tuesday the most inspirational. The thing that bothers me about death is the idea that I'm going to grow old to a point near my death where I might be too old to do anything...I'll be rather useless. The other thing I find a bit worrisome is the idea that in this limited time I can only do a limited number of things, and at some point I'm going to die without having completed many of the them I would have wanted to.

     I may just be one of the people Morrie said who know they're going to die but just don't believe it. As soon as I read that quote, I was able to say to myself, "Yeah. That's me." It really inspired me when Morrie said, "but nobody believes it. If we did, we would do things differently." He also went on to say, "...there's a better approach. To know you're going to die, and to be prepared for it at any time...That way you can actually be more involved in your life while you're living." These quotes showed me that being old and close to death does not necessarily mean you're not going to be able to complete anything anymore and if you plan accordingly, you can get everything done before you really aren't able to anymore. It made the idea of death a little more comfortable.

     There was a quote in this chapter that really stuck out to me: "'Is today the day? Am I ready? Am I doing all I need to do? Am I being the person I want to be?'" The idea of asking yourself everyday if you are the person you want to be if you were to die today is rather important. If you are honest with yourself, you learn if you need to take charge and change something in your life or not. In short, it's a way to help yourself keep improving your own life. This is important because many people talk about their regrets and "I wish I'd done that"s shortly before they pass away. Trying to reach the best you everyday helps eliminate that ending-sad-note for yourself, and I like that. I don't know if I'll use this little tip/trick now in my current life, but I believe it may help me when I'm a bit older and have no idea what I'm doing. Of course, I'm just hoping I can remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment